Sunday, April 9, 2017

I Sat Next to My Heart Today

I started to write this blog post a couple of weeks ago, and I have been thinking about it ever since.  It was inspired by my niece, Nancy.  Nancy saved me almost 6 years ago.  I never knew she was the missing piece to my heart.  The piece that I lost after my mother, Nancy, passed away from stage 4 ovarian cancer in 2006.  Losing my mother was and will always be the hardest thing that I have ever gone through.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of her or go to pick up my phone to call her. Everything I do as an educator is with her in mind.  She was a phenomenal teacher, and I am who I am today because of her.





I as I sit here, with tears in my eyes and a smile on my face, I hope that this post inspires you to do great things for your kids. They deserve your very best!



I sat next to my heart today, and told her that I loved her.  As soon as I said it, I asked myself "Am I telling her this enough?". Do I tell her that she is strong and beautiful and everything in between?  Have I told her that she is the half to my whole heart?  That she is the vivid color in the dark?  That I can't wait to see where her life takes her?  To answer that first question, what is enough?  There shouldn't be a cap on how many times you say I love you or how many times you show the ones you love how much you care.

I wonder if our kids, our students, are hearing these things as much as they should in our classrooms or as much as they deserve.  Are they hearing that they will move mountains with every word spoken?  That they will rattle and shake the norms of society?  That they are loved and appreciated for being exactly who they were meant to be?

Love them.  When they fight and struggle, love them.  When they tell you they don't care, love them.  When they turn away, love them, and remind them of that daily.  Love them on good days and bad.  Love them all.  You might be the only bright light that they've seen in a while.  Make sure your time with them is intentional and full of love and laughter.  Just love them.  We all make a choice as educators on how we choose to impact the life of a child.  Our job is an important one.

Thank you, Nancy, for making me an aunt, or as she likes to call me, her "Mamy". Thank you for inspiring me to be the best human being for my kids, past, present, and future.  I am the lucky one.  Love you, forever and always! #breadandbutter




Video Created in Grad School
"It All Began With Nancy"

3 comments:

  1. Gave me goosebumps! What a beautiful tribute for an amazing Mom! I know she's looking down from Heaven so proud of her daughters! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this moved me to tears. Your mom would be and surely is, proud of you. Your're a tribute to her daily. Loved the repetitive use of the phrase . . . love them.

    XOX,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Every educator should read these words. I’m so glad you put them to “paper.”

    ReplyDelete